March 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 [29] 30

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Theme Select

Forum Default

Permanently

Author Topic: Squadplay  (Read 5208 times)

Offline richard

• Lurker
Squadplay
« on: 07 August, 2014, 06:46:21 pm »
Hello MoX. I found your outfit through this blog http://www.squadside.com/. It has been a great inspiration to me, and my own playstyle is using a lot of principles from it. I would like to know if you are playing like described in it, with focus on being effective as a cohesive squad, even when outnumbered.
I've been trying to lead squads this way, with focus on having people stay together, and keeping their distance to the zerg. But there's not a lot of people who see the point in being in a region where you're overpopped.

Offline Trillion

• Administrator
  • Regular
Re: Squadplay
« Reply #1 on: 07 August, 2014, 08:44:19 pm »
Hey richard, glad you found us!

We definitely play as described, we run outfit (And much more tactical/strategic nights) every Tuesday and Sunday, however we also have 5-10 people on most nights (It's just a little more loose). We have a relaxed atmosphere most nights and tighten it up a bit on the outfit nights.

Usually run 10-15man squads on our outfit nights but we're in a period of growth atm. :)

Any questions gladly answered!
Our integrity sells for so little, but it is all we really have. It is the very last inch of us.

Offline Archangel

• Administrator
  • Veteran
« Reply #2 on: 07 August, 2014, 08:44:46 pm »
Hi Richard.

PirateCat is the author of the squadside blog, and our outfit leader, so im sure he will reply.

In general we operate with the principles and tactics from squadside in mind and adapt them to the situation. As a squad we are not afraid to hold a position when outnumbered using smoke, flanking fire and sensor device/sensor darts to give us the advantage in these fights, often enabling us to hold out long enough for a larger following force to reinforce the position.

We often face 2-1 odds and are sucessful, obviously once numbers increase to 3-1 it is much much harder due to the shear numbers, especially on Miller where there are a lot of very organised outfits we fight against.

I thought id just add to your line about people not seeing the point of fighting in an area with an enemy overpop.  One of the reasons we will continue the fight is to slow them down, and make them fight for moving the line forward.  We may not turn the fight around, but for every second you keep them occupied, gives the forces that were just beaten time to regroup and make a counter attack.  This is only possible with cooperation between outfits via command chat or out of game organisation, such as our TR alliance on Miller known as TRAC.
« Last Edit: 07 August, 2014, 08:51:57 pm by Archangel »

Offline Pirate Cat

• 02. Captain
  • Regular
    • AJT Images
« Reply #3 on: 07 August, 2014, 09:12:41 pm »
Hi Richard,

Squadside started from write-ups of MoX training nights, eventually there was a sizeable library of material so I began to write it down on an external site.

All articles are firmly based upon actual in-game experiences with as many examples as I can fit inside.

As Archy mentioned we are often deploying ahead of a larger, less mobile force to either slow up a rampaging enemy, or keep defenders tied up so they cant mount a proper defence.

If you are having trouble getting people to fight in an overpop, the easiest way for them to fight in safety is to set up a long range anti air / aromour camp (2 Bursters minimum and a mix of lockons / engineers with a single infil for local intelligence and a few medics) if this position is attacked you can easily transition into a tactical withdrawal  http://www.squadside.com/2013/07/11/runaway/ (just make sure you move in plenty of time). As a general rule when you are outnumbered distance is your friend as it makes it more difficult for you to be swamped by enemies.

If you want to hop on and see how I run things you are more than welcome to join us on Teamspeak, as mentioned Sundays are our most active night.

Whie not exactly what you were after I have just published an article which is pretty much an AAR of a 48+ fight where we held a flank against a heavy VS armour push to allow a larger outfit to fight their meatgrinder battle to take a base. http://www.squadside.com/2014/08/07/chokepoint-influencing-48-battle/
« Last Edit: 07 August, 2014, 09:58:36 pm by Pirate Cat »

Offline richard

• Lurker
« Reply #4 on: 08 August, 2014, 05:53:22 am »
I thought id just add to your line about people not seeing the point of fighting in an area with an enemy overpop.  One of the reasons we will continue the fight is to slow them down, and make them fight for moving the line forward.  We may not turn the fight around, but for every second you keep them occupied, gives the forces that were just beaten time to regroup and make a counter attack.  This is only possible with cooperation between outfits via command chat or out of game organisation, such as our TR alliance on Miller known as TRAC.
Yes, and that's also why i like to do it. It's not because i expect us to be able to take the base, but as you said, keep them occupied so they're not effective elsewhere. And with using local numerical superiority, by going where there's a smaller concentration of enemies, you'll still be able to survive as a squad, when you're vastly outnumbered in the region.
Also i think it adds a lot of immersion to the game, that you actually have a line you're moving forward and back on the ground, instead of just redeploying between bases. That's a whole lot of ground you usually never get to fight on otherwise.
If you want to hop on and see how I run things you are more than welcome to join us on Teamspeak, as mentioned Sundays are our most active night.
Okay, that's awesome. I currently have my character on Woodman, but after the merge i would be interested in being there.
« Last Edit: 08 August, 2014, 06:03:19 am by richard »

binomial-cheese