May 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Theme Select

Forum Default

Permanently

Author Topic: [WoW Application] Butterflyr - Mage  (Read 7386 times)

Offline Candy

• Formerly Butterflyr
  • 03. Full Member
  • Noobler
[WoW Application] Butterflyr - Mage
« on: 04 November, 2012, 02:21:24 pm »
Raiding Application
ButterflyR - Blood Elf Mage
Name: Martin West

Other Games: Many, but atm Borderlands 2 and Football Manager 2013. Mostly WoW, though.
Me: I study programming and animation. I spend a lot of time in front of the computer. Been playing WoW since vanilla, but less in TBC and mostly in WoTLK.

Armory: http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/grim-batol/Butterflyr/simple
(Not sure when armory updates but I have 463 neck and I have done some reforging / gemming to make my gear better).

Applying as: Butterflyr Blood Elf Fire Mage, Level 90 on Grim Batol.
I currently have alchemy and herbalism.
I play most days from 15-> 2 AM. Friday and Saturday I might go out and try to have a social life (often fails).
I have a hunter level 90 but I do not plan on using it much. I have it stationed in Halfhill to get mats from tillers.
I have Teamspeak and a good mic which doesn't kill ears.
My raiding addons are DBM, Omen and Decursive.
I have cooking and alchemy, so having the proper flasks, pots and food is not going to be a problem.
I will be able to raid any day of the week, and I will be able to be there on time.
I am currently in a social guild consisting of IRL friends of mine. I transferred to this server to play with them, but they have slowly spent less and less time in WoW (and they enjoy the PvP aspect of the game more than PvP).
I have done LFR three times before on the first 6 bosses. I have been playing WoW on and off since vanilla so I am good at figuring new bosses out and maximizing my DPS.
I do not have any logs to show you, but should this be of the utmost importance will I get one the next LFR lockout.

My first level 60 class was a mage, and I've always had a love for the glass cannons that are us. I raided as hunter in cata, as my guild needed more hunters - but I quickly started to miss my mage. Once you have gotten used to blink, ice block and teleports - there is simply no going back ;)
I am currently specced as fire. I have experience with both the other specs as well, but fire is the one I have been playing with the most.

Talents / Glyphs:
As the mages are now, there are many possibilities dependant on the fight. In some cases you can stand still and nuke most of the fight, making Presence of Mind and Rune of Power the best talents. Nether Tempest is probably the strongest single target bomb, but Living Bomb is better when there are 2-4 targets. Ring of Frost is very good for mass CC, but Frostjaw is better for silencing casters.
The tier 6 talent is the most important one, and I use Rune of Power in fights that require little to no movement, Invocation in fights where there is more movement but where I am guaranteed to be able to channel it - and Incanter's Ward is the less used one, which I would use in fights where there is a lot of unavoidable damage - to maximize its absorption and extra spell damage.
IMO mages have 5 or 6 viable glyphs now. I use Evocation, Combustion and Fire Blast. None of them is a total necessity, but Evocation is great for the self healing. Frostfire Bolt and Counterspell are good options if we need a snare or interruptions.

Gear:
I've been working on dailies a lot and will soon have more VP gear available to me, but I am fairly happy with having 9 epic pieces with nothing else than LFR on my back. Within the next week I will be honored with Klaxxi and revered with Golden Lotus.
I am also lacking a few enchants that I hope I will be able to get when I join a guild with enchanters available to help out.
Stats: Int > Hit (to 15%) > Crit > Haste > Mastery

MoX:
I don't know anyone in MoX (yet), but I am looking for a guild with mature players that have respect for eachother and show up for raids with their consumables on time. Having respect for eachother means that we don't keep eachother waiting, and we constantly try to make eachother better - and make the time we play more enjoyable.
I knew when I started playing again that if I was going to play - I was going to have to raid as well. I know myself well enough to realize that. I wish to raid to overcome obstacles with a tightly knit group of friends that REALLY want to down bosses - and do it well. As long as this is possible, and as long as Blizzard keeps making fun content - I will play.

I've read the charter. I especially like the TS rules.
From ButterflyR
« Last Edit: 05 November, 2012, 08:02:19 am by Butterflyr »
Only as high as I reach can I grow
Only as far as I seek can I go
Only as deep as I look can I see
Only as much as I dream can I be

Offline Kletsnat

• Diplomatic Envoy for peace in WoW
  • 03. Full Member
  • Veteran
    • Artifex
Re: [WoW Application] Butterflyr - Mage
« Reply #1 on: 04 November, 2012, 05:44:52 pm »
Hey Butterflyr

Thank you for applying to MoX.
Application itself looks really good, you know the basics, know when to switch out talents and most of all seem to love gaming :)
Unfortunately what you are posting here doesn't quite reflect back on your character..

You're below the hit cap, while it's easy reachable for you, and gemming wrong.
On top of that there are a couple of items that are better itemized than the gear you're currently wearing. I would strongly suggest you try to find yourself a BiS list that has a list of items for each slot to see which items are an upgrade; the Direbrew trinket for example, is considerably worse compared to some of the trinkets obtainable in 5man Heroics.

When people apply I'm not just looking at the application, I'm also looking if people are trying to get the best out of their characters. In my opinion that's not the case here. If it was the case I would have probably overlooked the fact you haven't done any Normal raiding yet and offered you a chance, but unfortunately due to the lack in both areas I'm going to have to decline your application for a Raider spot.

Good luck in your search for a suitable guild.

/Segev
Guildmaster of Artifex
Klets - Zipora - Segev - Sagiv

Offline Candy

• Formerly Butterflyr
  • 03. Full Member
  • Noobler
« Reply #2 on: 04 November, 2012, 11:57:48 pm »
Thanks for reading and answering.
I guess you have already decided but I always enjoy discussing WoW stuff so here goes.

About the hit cap; I am at it. 15.04% to be exact. I have reforged into expertise on gear that already has hit on it (expertise gives the same amount of hit as hit does). Armoury doesn't reflect this, but if you click 'show all stats' then go to melee, you will see the expertise there.

About the trinket; you are right. I've been working hard to reach the magical 470 iLevel, and it didn't really occur to me that even the alchemist stone I had in my bank was better. As for the BiS list and the rest of the gear; I humbly disagree. Yes there are some HC dungeon items that are a 20-100 dps increase - but this is very trivial. Sure, I am interested in having the best gear possible - but 50-200 dps increase in total on all my gear isn't too much.

As for the gemming, I don't like doing calculations and stuff, since I am always wrong! This is why I have used RawR (gear optimizer) to calculate the best gemming. The problem is that atm this is in a seemingly beta-ish stage. If it helps; I am actually aware that gemming hybrids is better now than in Cata since the gems have double the secondary stat compared to Cata.

Anyways, I do understand that you declined me based on knowing only what I wrote and what my character shows. It's hard to find a good and stable raiding guild on this server, so I wanted to give myself a bit of a fighting chance - showing that I can actually still learn a few things in this game ;)

* Edit

I actually noticed just now that Mycophilia and Assisst are in your guild. We used to play together on Jaedenar and Myco is actually on my friends-list  :p / Canderous | Candy @ Darksun
« Last Edit: 05 November, 2012, 01:02:45 am by Butterflyr »

Offline Mycophilia

• 03. Full Member
  • Lurker
« Reply #3 on: 08 November, 2012, 04:13:20 am »
Omg is that you Candy?

If it is, you're wrong! we played together on Bloodfeather, not Jaedenar. :P

Offline Candy

• Formerly Butterflyr
  • 03. Full Member
  • Noobler
« Reply #4 on: 08 November, 2012, 08:34:38 am »
Bah, so many years so many servers. Bloodfeather it was :P

Offline Kletsnat

• 03. Full Member
  • Veteran
    • Artifex
« Reply #5 on: 08 November, 2012, 10:48:58 am »
Hey Butterflyr,

I would like to have a chat with you, so poke me whenever I'm online.
You were right about the spellhit cap by the way, completely forgot about expertise counting towards spell hit.

Hope to hear from you soon!

/Segev
Guildmaster of Artifex

Offline Woyce

• 03. Full Member
  • Lurker
« Reply #6 on: 09 November, 2012, 12:57:20 pm »
I had a short chat with him ingame, he seems like a nice guy that knows what he is talking about.

However incase Segev is correct about that you're gemming wrong I'd like you to read up on stat priority and optimal socketing depending on socketbonuses and so on.

Anyway since Team Rocket(I know, awesome name) is currently looking for a few new recruits I would like to give this guy a chance.

/Woyce

Offline Hordecore

• Regular
« Reply #7 on: 09 November, 2012, 01:03:00 pm »
And I wasnt allowed to use any other colour then blue :(

Offline Woyce

• 03. Full Member
  • Lurker
« Reply #8 on: 09 November, 2012, 01:04:03 pm »

He told me to use blue.. I like red :/

Offline Hordecore

• Regular
« Reply #9 on: 09 November, 2012, 01:05:20 pm »

I like green :) hehehehehe LETS TAKE OVAH!
[/troll]

Offline Woyce

• 03. Full Member
  • Lurker
« Reply #10 on: 09 November, 2012, 01:07:02 pm »

I like green :) hehehehehe LETS TAKE OVAH!
[/troll]

You can't turn troll off.. Troll was never on!!

/Retreat before Segev kicks our ass for spamming

Offline Gnuko

• 03. Full Member
  • Noobler
« Reply #11 on: 09 November, 2012, 01:36:46 pm »
Looking at the gems from a mage perspective the gems ( piercing wil jade , smooth sun etc) are suboptimal in most situations. At the higher gear levels gemming pure crit might be beneficial because of the stat schaling. But overal you would want to gem int+ crit/hit for fire instead of the pure crit gems during the lower gear levels since that gives you a slight edge over the pure crit gems.

Also getting the trinket from DMF is a huge upgrade for mages. The trinket is up with the better ones like Light of the cosmos and essence of terror. And looking at the current prices it should be able to get that trinket for a fairly decent price nowadays. But since you are logged out with a different trinket im not sure if you have this one yet or you dont :)

Also to give your gear a small boost, the 483 pvp items are mostly better than the 463 blues from heroic so you might wanna give the arena's and battlegrounds a chance. You can cap the CP fairly quickly and it still an upgrade over the heroic 463 items.

Just my 2 cents :)

Offline Candy

• Formerly Butterflyr
  • 03. Full Member
  • Noobler
« Reply #12 on: 09 November, 2012, 04:45:56 pm »
Also getting the trinket from DMF is a huge upgrade for mages. The trinket is up with the better ones like Light of the cosmos and essence of terror. And looking at the current prices it should be able to get that trinket for a fairly decent price nowadays. But since you are logged out with a different trinket im not sure if you have this one yet or you

Noob mistake :P Yes I have the DMF trinket.

I'll also look into getting conq capped but I am soooo bad at PvP that winning arena for me is going to be a problem :P

Offline szemere

• 03. Full Member
  • Veteran
  • Purple Kittens.
« Reply #13 on: 09 November, 2012, 07:46:14 pm »
Also getting the trinket from DMF is a huge upgrade for mages. The trinket is up with the better ones like Light of the cosmos and essence of terror. And looking at the current prices it should be able to get that trinket for a fairly decent price nowadays. But since you are logged out with a different trinket im not sure if you have this one yet or you

Noob mistake :P Yes I have the DMF trinket.

I'll also look into getting conq capped but I am soooo bad at PvP that winning arena for me is going to be a problem :P

I suck equally, we'd make a great team (translation: I'm running out of people bad enough at PvP to settle with a 1:3 winratio to cap arenas on weekly)

Offline Candy

• Formerly Butterflyr
  • 03. Full Member
  • Noobler
« Reply #14 on: 09 November, 2012, 08:20:53 pm »
1:3 ?! that's utopia for me. I do have full PvP gear tho, but it's a mix of contender, normal and one epic. But if we play and lose enough... won't we play vs newly dinged green geared noobs? ;p

Offline Kletsnat

• 03. Full Member
  • Veteran
    • Artifex
« Reply #15 on: 10 November, 2012, 12:40:36 am »
Hey Butterflyr,

We didn't get much of a chance to talk yesterday, but I'm with Gnuro on this one. You'll need to learn to simcraft your character, find out what your personal statweights are (because they differ for everyone) and gem accordingly; no use to calculate anything, since simcraft does that for you. As well as use the best trinkets/gear/enchants etc available to you. Unfortunately for you, that does include Conquest items. But there should be plenty of people in MoX that are willing to help a fella cap CP.

Woyce said he thinks you might be what Team Rocket is looking for, so poke an Officer in-game for an explanation of your trial and a guild invite.

/Segev
Guildmaster of Artifex

Offline Woyce

• 03. Full Member
  • Lurker
« Reply #16 on: 11 November, 2012, 03:05:43 pm »
Hello again Butterflyr,

I havn't heard from you in a few days now and I recently heard from Segev that he couldn't find you on armory.
Have you namechanged or infact transfered away? I would like to hear from you, incase you've just been inactive over the weekend feel free to poke me on either Woyce / Zayela

/Woyce

Offline Kletsnat

• 03. Full Member
  • Veteran
    • Artifex
« Reply #17 on: 11 November, 2012, 03:38:54 pm »
Trial started: 2012/11/11

Good luck!
Guildmaster of Artifex