March 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Theme Select

Forum Default

Permanently

Author Topic: The Lattice System  (Read 3618 times)

Offline Roop298

• 03. Full Member
  • Noobler
  • We're all gonna die.
The Lattice System
« on: 13 August, 2013, 11:22:00 am »
As a simple grunt it matters not that I know which is the next target, or which base to defend from marauders.
You guys were talking about targets and places to defend last night.  Where do you get the information to determine then next base to attack? :nea:

"The pen is mightier than the Sword", but I've always found a gun works better.  Except for writing with.

Offline Joclemen

• 03. Full Member
  • Regular
  • This section isn't really long enough to do me jus
    • JC@FB
Re: The Lattice System
« Reply #1 on: 13 August, 2013, 11:34:15 am »
Being a smaller outfit, we have to pick the fights we know we can influence, otherwise we might just be walking into a grinder. The map screen gives us pretty much all the info we need to make those decisions: size of friendly and enemy forces, pop balance, the direction battle is headed (easier to determine due to lattice system); stuff like that. We also employ a certain amount of tacit knowledge regarding terrain and specific bases - for example, andvari is a difficult cap, and often a good place to mount a counter-offensive because you have a clear shot on all the armour coming from andvari south. Perfect for engi turrets and fracture maxes. Of course, that works both ways. As with most things, you'll pick it up the more you play.
MUFUGGIN MEOWCRITS, BLAP BLAP

Offline Archangel

• Administrator
  • Veteran
« Reply #2 on: 13 August, 2013, 11:39:21 am »
Normally by looking at the lines that link the bases, and by the enemy activity in each sector.  When falling back I try to anticipate which base the enemy will move to next (by following the link), and when attacking I look at which bases we can move to, then which ones have enemies there.  If their strength is around the same as ours or we will even the odds its normally a good fight.  I prefer to stay away from the HUGE fights as it gets too chaotic, but there are occasions when I feel we as a squad can do something of value in that fight, and I will order us in.

Offline Pirate Cat

• 02. Captain
  • Regular
    • AJT Images
« Reply #3 on: 13 August, 2013, 03:12:50 pm »
everything above pretty much covers it, though I would add in a large fight we will often be on the outskirts taking a position to flank the main enemy force. Due to our smaller numbers we will often be at longer than average range in these encounters. In a more even fight we will be pushing in and close range fights can be expected.

I have written some posts in the PS2 forums about zerg behavoiur behaviour and battle flow which will influence my target selection. They can also be found at http://squadside.wordpress.com/