March 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Theme Select

Forum Default

Permanently

Author Topic: Mic continued to work even though not plugged in.  (Read 4819 times)

Offline Didz

• 03. Full Member
  • Noobler
Mic continued to work even though not plugged in.
« on: 24 March, 2012, 09:42:33 am »
I need to take anouther look at my TS set-up as I tried to use it in last night OPS event and several people were complaining that they could hear their voices being echoed back to them through my MIC.

This had not been apparent when I tested my set-up, and my mic was set to 'push to speak' and so should have been picking up anything.  However, having failed to find anything wrong I decided the only option was to rip the mic out of its plug socket.  Which I did and threw it across the room, and yet I was told that it was still feeding back people voices on the TS channel.

In the end the only way U managed to stop it was to 'mute' the mic in TS.  But I have no idea how a mic that isn't plugged in and is about six feet from the PC can still feedback peoples voices.  (it isn't a wireless mic, btw)

Offline Gunganator

• 03. Full Member
  • Noobler
Re: Mic continued to work even though not plugged in.
« Reply #1 on: 24 March, 2012, 01:59:42 pm »
unplug your webcam with built in mic too :P

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.
Albert Einstein

“Programming today is a race between software engineers stirring to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning.”

If brain power were gasoline, you wouldn't have enough to run an ants go-kart around the inside of a doughnut

Offline daimon

• Lumberjack & Paranoid Sling Swinger
  • 03. Full Member
  • Addict
  • Milkaway
    • http://www.facebook.com/sami.kulmala
« Reply #2 on: 24 March, 2012, 02:24:11 pm »
You're house is bugged!

Offline Didz

• 03. Full Member
  • Noobler
« Reply #3 on: 26 March, 2012, 09:26:35 pm »
I don't have a webcam.  Not sure about my house being bugged though <looks round nervously>

I was wondeirng if there was some sort of setting that feeds back sound form the speakers into the mic channel or something.  I've been recording video's woth a voice comentary so I'm wondering if something in that set-up has screwed my TS settings.

Offline fr0ggy

• Chief
  • 03. Full Member
  • Regular
  • Behold the German
« Reply #4 on: 27 March, 2012, 10:17:05 am »
Depending on you soundcard and its drivers you can fx set your speaker output as mic input and stupid stuff like that. Also check your pc, various mobos have plugs for speaker/mic in the front and the back. Make sure you dont have anything plugged in at the wrong wholes in the back or so.
Guess you should provide abit more info about what soundcard u use and stuff.....maybe some screenies from its software or from the windows sound settings or TS settings. What windows you using anyways if you made changes in the windows sound settings.
Winner - The Best Camouflaged MoXie Award - MMX 2008
Winner - The Iron Man Award - MoxMeet 2009
Afraid of juice - MoxMeet 2010

Offline 20rakah

• 03. Full Member
  • Noobler
« Reply #5 on: 27 March, 2012, 10:50:08 pm »
As froggy said you can have your recording set to speaker output by accident. If you didn't have microphone playback disabled then it would be going through your speakers and you probably wouldn't notice much of a differance when setting the mic up save sounding a little odd and muted.

Easiest way to check.

With TS open hit >> Alt + P >> Capture Device and ensure it's set to the correct card and it should say microphone, if not then change it.

"I've been recording video's woth a voice comentary so I'm wondering if something in that set-up has screwed my TS settings."
What set up where you using for that? Virtual dub?
combining the sound with virtual audio cable?

"I see that you have made three spelling mistakes."
- Thomas de Mahay (upon reading his death sentence)

Offline 20rakah

• 03. Full Member
  • Noobler
« Reply #6 on: 27 March, 2012, 10:51:11 pm »
As froggy said you can have your recording set to speaker output by accident. If you didn't have microphone playback disabled then it would be going through your speakers and you probably wouldn't notice much of a differance when setting the mic up save sounding a little odd and flat.

Easiest way to check.

With TS open hit >> Alt + P >> Capture Device and ensure it's set to the correct card and it should say microphone, if not then change it.

"I've been recording video's woth a voice comentary so I'm wondering if something in that set-up has screwed my TS settings."
What set up where you using for that? Virtual dub?
combining the sound with virtual audio cable?

"I see that you have made three spelling mistakes."
- Thomas de Mahay (upon reading his death sentence)