March 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 [29] 30

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Theme Select

Forum Default

Permanently

Author Topic: Gaming Blog, as part of university coursework  (Read 3822 times)

Offline Joclemen

• 03. Full Member
  • Regular
  • This section isn't really long enough to do me jus
    • JC@FB
Gaming Blog, as part of university coursework
« on: 28 November, 2013, 02:52:32 pm »
Hey guys,

So as part of my course I have to spend the next few weeks maintaining a blog on any subject of my choice. The blog is up, and it'd be great to get some feedback on it.

I suspect that anyone who reads about gaming often has already seen a lot of pieces similar to my blog entries, and as far as I'm aware there's nothing particularly new in there, it's just some ideas I've had in my own words.

Anyway, without further ado: http://josephclements.wordpress.com/

Edit: For those with an aversion to white text on black backgrounds, the mobile version is black on white. Unfortunately, I'm not sure how to force the mobile version on desktop browsers =/

I'm not too fussed about grammar and spelling just yet, I just wanted to get the concepts down. I can go through it with a fine-tooth comb when all the posts are complete.

Cheers,

Joe =)
« Last Edit: 29 November, 2013, 11:18:26 am by Joclemen »
MUFUGGIN MEOWCRITS, BLAP BLAP

Offline Farrow

• Administrator
  • Addict
Re: Gaming Blog, as part of university coursework
« Reply #1 on: 29 November, 2013, 10:31:34 am »
Hey Joc, I found that blog an interesting read, though I have some notes if you'll indulge me (you asked for it :P).

Firstly, while I appreciate the enthusiasm, in my opinion the bad-language (the F and T words that appear in a few places) leave a bad taste. It makes the blog seem less professional and more ranty and I think you'd achieve a wider fanbase by simply changing those words out for something less offensive. That makes me sound like a prude maybe, but how often do you see a professional news (even a gaming one like IGN) use swears in articles?

Second is on the site's style. The white text on black background is really hard on the eyes after a little while - and since the posts are quite long you can't help but stare at it and personally I had to look away from my screen and blink a few times to get my vision to go normal again.
I don't care who you are. When it comes to flying a Galaxy - better you than Ryu.

Offline Joclemen

• 03. Full Member
  • Regular
  • This section isn't really long enough to do me jus
    • JC@FB
Re: Gaming Blog, as part of university coursework
« Reply #2 on: 29 November, 2013, 11:07:16 am »
Both valid points. On the language, I'm probably going to edit it out or tone it down - I think I was going for ranting backed up with evidence, but the two don't meld as well as I first reckoned they might. A lot of people have commented that if you know me well this works, but if you don't (which is probably most readers) then it's simply jarring.

On the contrast business, I land on the other end of that - not only do I find light text on a dark background easier to read, I find it much easier on the eyes. I think I can switch the mobile version to display as black on white, so I'll post the link to that version once I have it sorted out. Then everyone can have cake.

Edit: Contrast issues semi-fixed (see OP).
« Last Edit: 29 November, 2013, 11:18:57 am by Joclemen »
MUFUGGIN MEOWCRITS, BLAP BLAP