Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 [27]
28 29 30

No calendar events were found.

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Theme Select

Forum Default

Permanently

Author Topic: Welcome to Red Orchestra Server regulars.  (Read 4775 times)

Offline Wilbur Spoons

• Class in a very tall glass
  • 03. Full Member
  • Addict
Welcome to Red Orchestra Server regulars.
« on: 30 October, 2007, 10:56:15 pm »
Hello to all our regulars from the Red Orchestra server. As mentioned this evening we are looking at the map rotation / voting policy on the RO server, and as you are the regulars, its only fair that you have a say.

Basically we were considering removing the map vote and instead going for a map rotation policy of a smaller number of the most popular maps. What those maps will be will be decided here, and wether or not we remove the map vote will also be decided here.

Please also take into account that this is a public area of our forum, so please refrain from any swearing/flaming/general crudeness and lets work together at making the MoX RO server the best that we can.

Offline Tinbum

• Hair Captain
  • 04. MoX News Team
  • Regular
  • Keep away from the WoW cave!
« Reply #1 on: 30 October, 2007, 10:59:52 pm »
yh i dont like the vote...takes to long

wado

« Reply #2 on: 31 October, 2007, 08:14:22 am »
I'd personally like to get some of those new maps we've got a go, there are around six of them i think, but it takes an age for them to download, thats why we're not getting any votes on them.  

Is there anything we can do about this.? Other servers dont have this problem, it only takes a few seconds to download elsewhere.

Offline splato

• 03. Full Member
  • Regular
« Reply #3 on: 31 October, 2007, 10:33:33 am »
Quote from: wado
I'd personally like to get some of those new maps we've got a go, there are around six of them i think, but it takes an age for them to download, thats why we're not getting any votes on them.  

Is there anything we can do about this.? Other servers dont have this problem, it only takes a few seconds to download elsewhere.

The New maps are huge maps i beleive and thats why they take time to download. Anyone know i can increase the bandwidth for the downloads ? I've tried loads of different options but it always appear to default to the old basics.

SPlato

Offline Lanski

• 03. Full Member
  • Regular
« Reply #4 on: 31 October, 2007, 11:35:55 am »
Quote from: splato
The New maps are huge maps i beleive and thats why they take time to download. Anyone know i can increase the bandwidth for the downloads ? I've tried loads of different options but it always appear to default to the old basics.

SPlato

Worth giving Rackage a call?
Explored the World with Cowboy -TPF- :)
Mrs Cowboy -TPF- \o/
Mummy to Lil Lanski Cowboy -TPF- Pinkette AKA Lil Miss born 3rd July 2013
Mummy to Lil Lanski Cowboy -TPF- Pinkette AKA Tiny Miss born 27th June 2019

Offline splato

• 03. Full Member
  • Regular
« Reply #5 on: 31 October, 2007, 02:08:42 pm »
Quote from: Lanski
Worth giving Rackage a call?

It's the in-game download of maps  from Red Orchestra.

Splato

Offline fr0ggy

• Chief
  • 03. Full Member
  • Regular
  • Behold the German
« Reply #6 on: 31 October, 2007, 08:10:54 pm »
Hi, let me give u my idea.

I dont think we should abolish the map voting, because map voting is not possible on the other big servers. But i think we should change the voting mode. Now the majority decides what maps to play, so that there are only 4 or 5 maps that are played. But we could test the other voting mode, the one where every player has as much votes as he has points.

So, hope i made no writing mistake^^
Winner - The Best Camouflaged MoXie Award - MMX 2008
Winner - The Iron Man Award - MoxMeet 2009
Afraid of juice - MoxMeet 2010

Offline Wilbur Spoons

• 03. Full Member
  • Addict
« Reply #7 on: 31 October, 2007, 08:14:06 pm »
Cool, I wasnt aware that most bigger servers didn't have voting, maybe that helps people decide to join our server every night. I am keen on the idea that we let the regulars decide what maps are included on the server though, should streamline things nicely.

Offline fr0ggy

• Chief
  • 03. Full Member
  • Regular
  • Behold the German
« Reply #8 on: 01 November, 2007, 04:18:03 pm »
Let me say a few words about our mappool now.

PLS no Manikkala. I don´t like this Map like the majority of the people i played with.

We could add Zhitomir Revenge, its almost the same like Zhitomir, but its in the winter and the axis team has to defend.

wado

« Reply #9 on: 01 November, 2007, 04:57:03 pm »
Quote from: d3r_fr0sch
Let me say a few words about our mappool now.

PLS no Manikkala. I don´t like this Map like the majority of the people i played with.

We could add Zhitomir Revenge, its almost the same like Zhitomir, but its in the winter and the axis team has to defend.

ok, where can we get this from?

Offline fr0ggy

• Chief
  • 03. Full Member
  • Regular
  • Behold the German
« Reply #10 on: 01 November, 2007, 09:46:17 pm »
So heres an idea solving the downloading Problem:

As i have no clue of servers i would say, just put the whole Mappck on a seperate server for free download. Or show the downloadlinks of MapOrchestra at the server info, which is shown whenn u press F2.

Then i got an idea from a guy calle 2inf.Dave or something like that. He said that we should get rid of the "forgive-system" with TKs, as it could lead to lags.

Yeah, and there should be little info messages shown at the ingame chat, which says something like "Insulting people could lead into a kick" or something like that. Play at the TWB server to see what i mean.

Thats all for now.

Friendly Greetz fr0sch

Johnsen

« Reply #11 on: 12 November, 2007, 09:48:46 am »
[quote name='d3r_fr0sch' date='Nov 1 2007, 09:46 PM' post='50324']

Then i got an idea from a guy calle 2inf.Dave or something like that. He said that we should get rid of the "forgive-system" with TKs, as it could lead to lags.

Yeah, and there should be little info messages shown at the ingame chat, which says something like "Insulting people could lead into a kick" or something like that. Play at the TWB server to see what i mean.

[/quote]

If you can get rid of the forgive system,why not? there`s  not gonna be any friendly fire or what  
To the case at hand, i would like to get rid of the map voting system, i to think it takes to long. have a couple of rounds on each
map in the rotation and were god to go. But there should absolutely be some of the new big maps in there, both infantry and tank maps...
maybe have a poll here on the forum to stick out the maps in the rotation

Well, that`s all folx...  Johnsen     ps.may be some bad english in my writing

Kortxero

« Reply #12 on: 19 November, 2007, 02:12:27 pm »
Hi all,    

I do think getting rid of the forgive system would a mistake as lots of gamers have been looking forward to this feature (personally, I wish we could have a punishment system like the one available in Day of Defeat).
    Actually, RO should go the whole hog and enhance that system (the ball is in Tripwire's court). Just think of it: what is the proportion of fair TKs that should not be punished in a game (the dead nade is a good example of it)? If a team has a good MG gunner who happens to TK more than allowed (this is frequent with that weapon, unfortunately), then the team will have to manage without him (while he reconnects) because they were not allowed to forgive him.
    Regarding the lags, I am not sure they are due to the forgive system (I have had some in "RTR Danzig Only" even though the system is not set up on their server).

About the map rotation, I like the voting system (even though it sometimes takes too long) as it is one of the best ways not to lose players and enjoy the best maps (ok, guys tend to always vote for the same ones). I have been playing on "The Wild Bunch" a lot and unfortunately, some gamers decide to leave the server when a crap map is next. They are sometimes replaced by new gamers, but it is not always the case. Have you ever ended up with only 8 guys in a game? People play on the Mox server because they can vote and forgive!

Finally, I too think some info wouldn't do harm, but those messages (like "Insulting people could lead into a kick", which is a good one) only work if an admin is on the look-out to enforce them.

Offline splato

• 03. Full Member
  • Regular
« Reply #13 on: 19 November, 2007, 02:29:48 pm »
Hi K,

Yeah i should be around a bit soon. BT should be fixing my home internet today so i'll be back adminning the server again after a long ....... unconnected while.

See you on the server.

Splato

Kortxero

« Reply #14 on: 19 November, 2007, 03:49:28 pm »
That sure is good news splato  . Anyway the ambiance and spirit on the server should be more relaxed now that Puppet_M@ster has been banned....

Offline JXcream

• 03. Full Member
  • Veteran
    • http://
« Reply #15 on: 20 November, 2007, 03:05:52 am »
i agree with you on the tk thing kortxero. sometimes people are retarded enough to throw a nade into a load of friendlies when its blatantly obvious what will happen and yes you do really wana punish them and in a way they deserve it, but its an accident so you shoudlnt on the other hand you have people who just run infront of you while you are blazing away at the enemy then shout "wtf?" and then punish when imo they are the ones who need punshing last of all ofcourse you get the purposeful tks which really go without saying, its really not a safe bet just to have autopunish on.

we should probably enforce a rule of always forgiving accidental tks like we had on bf
« Last Edit: 20 November, 2007, 03:06:36 am by JXcream »

Offline Wilbur Spoons

• 03. Full Member
  • Addict
« Reply #16 on: 20 November, 2007, 06:03:14 am »
There was a good article in PCGamer about this a month or so back. They said that the best way to stop flagrant abuse of the tk punish would be to change the question from 'do you want to forgive' to 'do you think it was done on purpose' I thought it was intersting at least.

Kortxero

« Reply #17 on: 20 November, 2007, 12:55:36 pm »
That's an interesting idea, Wilbur. At least it could help make your decision clearer. But was the article about RO or another FPS? Because my impression is that the TK feature is generally used on purpose and not abused in Red Orchestra. I might be wrong, but when I say "sorry", people usually forgive me. Also we have to remember that the TK system is pretty basic in RO compared to what is available in Day of Defeat for example (which allows you to freeze the guy or kill him instantaneously). In RO, the only possibility you have is to forgive, period. You can't imagine how frustrated I was when that Puppet guy was ruining the game. I just wished I could have used a whole bank of retaliation measures against him !

binomial-cheese