Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 [3] 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31

No calendar events were found.

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Theme Select

Forum Default

Permanently

Author Topic: Laptop for warhammer  (Read 2538 times)

Offline Ilma

• 03. Full Member
  • Lurker
Laptop for warhammer
« on: 06 April, 2009, 05:42:13 pm »
Hey lads not sure this is the right place to post this...
but for those who didnt read the app post you know my gaming is a little crippled by my work at sea.
So trying to get around this and its not the easiest thing to do as im not the brightest tool with computers.

Anyway figured out good mobile broadbands of which 2 would be decent and working for gaming, and without limits so i could actually be able to play daily from work at sea, atleast a couple of hours.

but what laptop to get?
I found this Acer Aspire 5738ZG, which looks nice and with a very nice price tag for me.
just not sure if it is enough for what i need it for... I didnt post a link so anyone helping can look it up on a webpage with their own language.

Would be helpful if someone had an idea if that one is good or any other laptop to get..
And i could setup a more stable gaming after my vacation in may.

regards Ilma

Offline Tharan

• 03. Full Member
  • Lurker
    • http://
Laptop for warhammer
« Reply #1 on: 06 April, 2009, 09:04:19 pm »
I would not recommend a Laptop without a dedicated graphic card from Nvidia or ATI like 3650 HD or 9500/9600 with at least 512 GB RAM for the card.

ASUS X56VA-AP118C : found this at a german online shop for 599€. Would say this would be good for some rounds of WAR.  

Don't ask about the fonts its f..k up because i inserted the laptop name.  BTW i love this smiley  I love all the available smiley  Sorry for that.

Back to topic: Depends on how much you want to spend for your laptop but i would chose a 15' with a decent graphic card and a dual core with at least 2 GHz.
« Last Edit: 06 April, 2009, 09:04:47 pm by Tharan »

Science may set limits to knowledge, but should not set limits to imagination.

Offline Bluejak

• Token, PhD
  • 03. Full Member
  • Regular
Laptop for warhammer
« Reply #2 on: 06 April, 2009, 09:45:54 pm »
/agree with tharan
Optimist: "The glass is half full."
Pessimist: "The glass is half empty."
Engineer: "That glass is twice as large as it needs to be"

I love noodles

Offline Airbag

• 03. Full Member
  • Regular
    • http://
Laptop for warhammer
« Reply #3 on: 06 April, 2009, 11:11:58 pm »
What Tharan says. The graphic card is key.
Something like an Intel Extreme Graphics thingy with shared memory just will not cut it. You'll need an actual card with dedicated memory. Preferably the ones Tharan suggests, or higher.
Note that all numbers of the cards should be equal or higher.. in example, a 9200 will be much slower than a 8600. Confusing, but if you stay at or above the x500 range when going for Nvidia, it should be fine. Not too sure about ATI, but I do know the 4530 is slower than the 3650, so I guess they try to screw people over just the same. For a list of laptop GPUs, divided into classes, you can look at http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForc...-GT.9449.0.html

Weirdly enough, I can only find that laptop Tharan suggests at weird german sites. I understand a bit of it, but I just dont seem to be able to find it anywhere else, which shouldn't be the case..
A bit more expensive option, at 700 euro's, but with a faster processor / GPU could be the Acer Aspire 6930G-864G32Bn. It's the one I'm personally looking at to replace my dead laptop.. Not that I'll have the cash anytime soon, but it doesn't hurt to keep an eye out .

Offline Ilma

• 03. Full Member
  • Lurker
Laptop for warhammer
« Reply #4 on: 07 April, 2009, 12:08:04 pm »
Thx for the help guys, took me some time to actually find the laptops you mentioned, but in the end i got the hang of it... would you believe in different countries the last series number is different why the same computer is so hard to find in sweden as in germany,... but i managed  

And I think i understand the difference mentioned what i should be looking for in a laptop for it to be a good one, so when looking at laptops with good graphic cards and so on with a reasonable price, Tharans suggestion looks like a very good one.

So once back from my vacation that will be the one i get.
And of course by choosing exactly what Tharan suggested, if things aint working out,...
I GOT SOMEONE TO BLAME!!

Offline Nymfo

• Noobler
Laptop for warhammer
« Reply #5 on: 07 April, 2009, 03:28:42 pm »
be sure to get fast ram, 2 GB minimum.